Joseph J. Minioza
Managing Partner | Oakland/East Bay
Joseph J. (J.J.) Minioza is the Managing Partner of the Firm’s Oakland/East Bay office and the President of the Firm. He is AV® Peer Review Rated Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a California Super Lawyer by Thompson Reuters every year since 2013. Mr. Minioza was also recently named one of America's Top 100 Civil Defense Litigators ® which is by invitation only and limited to the top 100 attorneys in each state and comprise less than one-half of one (0.5%) percent of active attorneys in the United States.
Mr. Minioza defends businesses, public entities, non-profits and professionals in many types of civil litigation, whether it is defending suits brought by employees for wage and hour or wrongful termination claims, defending a trucking company in a multi-million personal injury claim, a professional accused of professional malpractice, or a commercial real estate owner sued for significant claims of premises liability or breach of habitability.
Mr. Minioza has tried over 35 jury trials in both state and federal court and in every county in the San Francisco Bay Area. His trial results have been published in California Jury Verdicts Weekly and Verdict Search California Report. Mr. Minioza’s trial experience includes employment, commercial automobile, premises liability, negligence, real estate and professional liability cases, achieving a ninety-five (95%) success/win percentage. Mr. Minioza believes his broad-based litigation and extensive trial experience add tremendous value to his clients’ defense of the inevitable lawsuits they face. Ultimately, his legal services are just one important part of his client’s overall business strategy and risk management.
Some highlights of Mr. Minioza’s professional experience include the following:
- Served as lead trial counsel in $60 million business and property damage case against the second largest construction company in the world arising from its construction of a high end luxury resort in Calistoga, Napa County, California. Led a team of two law firms with numerous attorneys and paralegals in defending claims for property damage, construction defect, breach of contract, and negligence, involving claims for $20 million in property damage, $40 million in lost profits, and millions of dollars in attorney’s fees. The case also involved prosecuting 25 cross-complaints for breach of contract and indemnity. The case resulted in a settlement for less than one-third of the plaintiff’s claims utilizing insurance monies paid by our client’s insurance carriers and other parties’ insurance carriers with no personal contribution by our client.
- Obtained a unanimous complete defense verdict in a million dollar breach of habitability, personal injury, premises liability, and racial discrimination case against a real estate property management and services company. Jury returned its verdict in one hour.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on causation in a significant claim for breach of contract, indemnity, and property damage on behalf of a commercial general contractor, resulting in the plaintiff paying our client’s attorneys’ fees and costs for the entire litigation.
- Obtained a unanimous complete defense verdict on liability in a $5 million dollar construction site injury case in which the 56-year-old female plaintiff claimed several broken vertebrae and millions of dollars in future lost wages and lost earning capacity. Jury returned its verdict after two hours of deliberation.
- Served as lead trial counsel in a $6 million commercial trucking case involving significant injuries to the plaintiff that resulted in settlement for one third of the claim.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict on causation in a million dollar commercial automobile accident case filed by a 92-year-old female plaintiff claiming a broken back. The jury returned its verdict after two hours of deliberation.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a breach of contract and negligence case (with a claim for punitive damages) against a plumbing contractor.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict in a commercial automobile case where our client was a 90-year-old man who could not testify or even be present for trial. The jury returned its verdict after 20 minutes of deliberation.
- Obtained a nominal verdict of $11,000 in a breach of privacy/illegal surveillance and discrimination case against a real estate developer in San Francisco where the plaintiff tenants claimed well in excess of $1 million in damages, in addition to punitive damages and statutory penalties. Jury deliberated for approximately two hours before returning their verdict.
Mr. Minioza has B.A. degrees in History and Political Science from the University of California, Davis, and obtained his J.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles. He lives in San Ramon, California with his wife, Kathleen, and their two children, Samuel and Avery. He is an avid golfer and fan of the San Francisco Giants, Warriors and Forty-Niners.
CV, BV and AV are registered certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the Judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell Ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- University of California, Los Angeles School of Law, J.D.
- University of California, Davis, B.A.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeal, 9th Circuit
Partners Joseph J. (J.J.) Minioza, Douglas (Gregory) Kilduff, David Frankenberger, Andrew Chan and Carol Ann Seita Are Selected as 2021 Super Lawyers
Joseph J. Minioza Announced as Firm President
Joseph J. (J.J.) Minioza, Douglas (Gregory) Kilduff, David Frankenberger, and Andrew Chan Are Selected as 2020 Super Lawyers
Joseph Minioza Named One of America's Top 100 Civil Litigators
Oakland/East Bay Office Obtains Dismissal of a City
- Show more
Compelling Non-Signatories to Arbitration - by J.J. Minioza and Andrew J. Chan, published by the Association of Defense Counsel of Northern California and Nevada, Defense Comment (Vol. 35, No. 3 / Fall 2020)
Governor Newsom Signs Senate Bill 1079 Codifying California Tenants’ Rights of First Refusal
Habitability Series - Part 5 - What Kind Of Investigation Do We Need To Do To Evaluate the Case
Habitability Series - Part 4 - Evaluating Exposure
Habitability Series - Part 3 - Culpable Parties and Indemnity
- Show more
Joseph J. Minioza Presents a Habitability Seminar to Nationwide Insurance
Joseph J. Minioza Presents a Habitability Seminar to Stillwater Insurance
Joseph J. Minioza Presents a Risk Management Seminar to Eden Housing
Joseph J. Minioza Presents a Habitability Seminar to Chubb Insurance Group
Joseph J. Minioza Presents a Habitability Seminar to American Modern Insurance Group
- Show more